University of Edinburgh
Janette Webb is Professor of Sociology of Organisations, Edinburgh University. Her research concerns energy, climate change and society, with a focus on comparative European policy and practice for sustainable heat and low energy buildings. In addition to CREDS research on energy efficiency policy and practice in UK devolved governments, she is analysing local energy developments, and evaluating the Scottish Energy Efficiency Pilots (Scottish ClimateXChange). She leads the Heat and the City research group and has a working knowledge of local energy initiatives across the UK. She co-convenes a network of leading edge local authorities, plus government officials, ESCos and expert practitioners.
Her research contributes to policy: she is expert adviser to Scottish Government on Fuel Poverty; Energy Strategy and Climate Change Plans. She is a member of UK Government BEIS social research evaluation group and ISCF Prospering from the Energy Revolution Advisory Group. She chaired the UK Committee on Climate Change 2016 Advisory Group on Energy Efficiency and Heat. Her research contributed to UK Government 2013 Heat Strategy, and to UK Government Treasury 2015 Green Book Guidance on Valuing Infrastructure Spend. She was Non-Executive Director, and Sustainability Lead, NHS Health Scotland 2003-11 and founder member of NHS Scotland Public Health and Sustainability Network. She is a member of the Royal Society of Edinburgh multi-disciplinary Inquiry: The Future of Energy. She played a leading role in development and launch of the University of Edinburgh multi-disciplinary MA Honours Degree in Sustainable Development.
- Chapter 17: Local heat and energy efficiency policy: ambiguity and ambivalence in England and Scotland
- Understanding policy divergence after United Kingdom devolution: strategic action fields in Scottish energy efficiency policy
- Scottish Government consultation on its draft Heat in Buildings Strategy
- Housing retrofit: six types of local authority energy service models
- House of Commons BEIS Select Committee inquiry – decarbonising heat in homes
- Social innovation in the shadow of policy failure: Energy efficiency in self-build housing
- Governance institutions and prospects for local energy innovation: laggards and leaders among UK local authorities
- Infrastructure Commission for Scotland
- Shifting the focus: 7 Policy: delivering further and faster change in energy demand
Banner photo credit: Val Vesa on Unsplash